Tournament Music Journal: Wedding Bell Blues


Life as a traveling musician can be very difficult for any romantic relationship. Fortunately for me, my husband John and I work together. This does not mean that we are free from strife and distractions, but we manage to circumvent many issues related to the significant other left at home.

Sometimes, however, a significant other simply can not be calm. One of our former drummers, Ken, had a girlfriend who was always poor; she was angry when she went on the road without her, and she constantly complained of everything when she came. Ken finally had enough and broke up with her.

About the same time, he began to talk to Silva, whom he knew from his "real" job. They started right away, and while we were on the tour, he wrote and talked to her constantly. He said that he finally found someone who would support his dream to be a working musician, and he was the happiest we ever saw him.

I knew Kena for many years and worked with him on some previous projects. He was with my current band for over three years, and I felt that we all had a strong "family" relationship. After he and his new girlfriend had fun for several weeks, he invited her to come along with us. She looked happy to continue our little adventure and things went well. Two weeks later we went out for a longer run, starting Sunday in Cheyenne, Wyoming, a few days in Mescalero, New Mexico, and then a stupid path to Bismarck, North Dakota in a week. Sylvia seemed to be having a good time, so she even came to the stage with the band to dance and sing some backup vocals.

Just before we left Wyoming, Ken announced he would be married in New Mexico. Concert in New Mexico is one of the rare performances that does not include accommodation, so we all agreed to share one room in order to save money. It was a bit of a disadvantage, especially for the newlyweds, but we took the best advantage of it. They decided to get married on Sunday morning before we set off for North Dakota. With the help of some native relatives, the happy couple found a pastor, and the wedding ceremony was a nice, simple success. Although we had a very long ride ahead of us, and we had to be in Bismarck until Tuesday night, we decided to stay in New Mexico another night in separate rooms in order to have a real night of the night.

The next morning we filled up and set off on the road. The young men traveled in their vehicle, so we said, "I'll see you in Bismarck" and split up. Everyone spent a hard drive, and we settled into a band for the band. The room for the band was basically a motel room with a large extra bedroom. To get in and out of the room, my family had to constantly go through the area of ​​the newlyweds, and it seemed that the tension that is deteriorating every day seemed to increase.

The day after our arrival in Bismarck, our reservation agent called to see if we could go to Minot, North Dakota for the next week, and then to Montana for a week. It's often the way we work. All those who are associated with the band agreed to do the shows, so we signed a contract (electronic). We are now legally dedicated to performances. Minot was just two hours away from Bismarck, but we had problems with the tires with our van. We told Ken that we will stop and buy tires before we go. Since we had two more weeks of work, we spent most of the money on tires, oil and other vehicle needs.

After a few hours we were on our way. Approximately half way to our destination, I received the text from Sylvie, who said that the newlyweds do not go to Minot, but they went home. My family and I were in a very difficult situation; We spent cash on the van and we did not have the money to get home in Jut (800 miles away). We were also under contract, so as not to come to the concerts would mean a lawsuit and a loss of work. I immediately called some good friends in Minot, who were musicians. Gary played the guitar on stage with us in Minot earlier, and his wife Julie was just a drummer!

They saved us from a terrible fate, and the seven-day concert was excellent. They could not continue the tour, so I invited another drummer from Salt Lake City to Utah to meet in Montana on our next show, and he proved to be a great asset and decided to stay as a regular member of the band. Although I'm glad we went through the tour, I'm still very sad about losing friendship with Ken, and since then we have not heard from him or Sylvie.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *